This delicious play on an absolute classic is what The Low Carb High Fat Lifestyle is all about. You get to enjoy real food that’s tasty and satisfying.
This version hits the spot without all the carbs and gluten – ENJOY!
1kg Minced beef
1 Brown onion
3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
Fresh chilli to taste
1 tbs Italian herbs
2 tbs Tomato paste
120ml Red wine
250ml Beef stock
1 can Crushed tomatoes
Grass fed butter, for frying
1 Cauliflower head, separated into florets
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
Ground black pepper to taste
120g Shaved parmesan cheese
200ml Sour Cream
1/2 cup Heavy cream
1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Shaved parmesan cheese
Season to taste, use white pepper
Preheat oven to 200 degrees
I have a very small kitchen so I find it easier to start to with the lasagna sheets because otherwise it gets a bit too hot in the kitchen with the bolognese sauce simmering. Ideally you’d start with the bolognese and then make the lasagna sheets while it’s simmering.
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until you get a rice consistency. I use a stick with chopping bowl attachment and do it in a few batches. Place the cauliflower in a bowl and cook in the microwave for 2-minutes, stir and then back in for another 2-minutes.
- Lay it out to cool on a towel (I use a chux cloth) and then squeeze all the liquid out – you should expect about 1-cup of liquid to come out. You want the rice to be dry.
- Combine the cauliflower, eggs, parmesan, seasoning together in a bowl. Spread a thin layer of batter out on trays lined with baking paper and cook on the lower racks of the over for 10-15mins. Remove and let cool on a drying rack.
- Sauté onions, garlic, chilli and herbs in butter for about 5 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mince beef breaking it apart with the back of a spoon, then cook for 2-3 mins, or until starting to brown and then stir through the tomato paste.
- Stir through beef stock, crushed tomatoes and season to taste. Bring to the boil and then simmer on low for 20 mins
- Bring heavy cream and sour cream to the boil
- Remove from the heat and stir through cheese
- Season to taste
In a deep baking dish add some bolognese, then lasagna sheet and cheese sauce. You should get three layers. Finish with cheese sauce and parmesan cheese
Bake for 20-30 mins in a 200 degree oven
I like to portion it out into single serves and pop them into the freezer – I use press seal sandwich bags. I find them great for portion size freezing and they’re easy to take to work for lunches when you’re ready to eat them